Steven K. Neufeld, M.D.
Request an Appointment
Following engineering school at the University of Pittsburgh and Medical School at Hahnemann University, Dr. Neufeld completed an Orthopaedic Surgery residency at The Ohio State University. He then completed a fellowship in Foot and Ankle Orthopaedic Surgery at Union Memorial in Baltimore, Maryland.
Dr. Neufeld founded the The Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Center (OFAC), the first comprehensive foot and ankle center in the Washington, D.C. area, which employs Orthopedic foot and ankle physicians, physical therapists, athletic trainers and non-operative podiatrists.
Due to his love and affinity for teaching and continuing education, Dr. Neufeld founded and serves as the Director of the Fellowship at the Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Center, which participates in the national American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (A.O.F.A.S.) match. He is a Clinical Professor in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Virginia Commonwealth University and a Clinical Instructor at Georgetown University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He is a member of the Inova Sports Medicine Institute. Additionally, he is also the founder and Director of the Inova Health Total Ankle Replacement Program.
Dr. Neufeld is active in both clinical and biomechanical research, producing poster presentations, book chapters and Foot & Ankle journal publications. He holds patents and intellectual property on orthopedic implants and braces. Recent research and publication topics include total ankle replacements, ankle & subtalar arthritis, cartilage transplants, novel treatments for avascular necrosis of the talus and hallux valgus deformities. Current projects include IRB approved studies in ankle instability, extremity fracture care and multicenter studies in bone graft substitute and articular cartilage lesions in the ankle.
He is an editorial reviewer for peer reviewed Orthopaedic journals including the prestigious Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (JBJS) and the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (JAAOS).
Dr. Neufeld is a board certified in Orthopaedic Surgery, a Fellow in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS), a Board Member of the Centers for Advanced Orthopaedics and a Board Member of the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society Foundation.
Areas Of Expertise
Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgery
Total Ankle Replacement
Hahnemann University School of Medicine; Philadelphia, PA
The Ohio State University, Department of Orthopaedics; Columbus, OH
Foot and Ankle Surgery, Union Memorial Hospital; Baltimore, MD
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Advanced Certificate in Total Ankle Replacement
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons
- Virginia Medical Society
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association
- Arlington Medical Society
- Co-Founder, The Centers for Advanced Orthopaedics
- Director, Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Center of Washington
- Medical Director, Ankle Replacement Program at Inova Health System
- Medical Director, Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Fellowship at OFAC
- Medical Alliance Member, The Washington Ballet
- Instructor, Georgetown University Department of Orthopaedics
- Clinical Professor, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Health Policy Committee Member, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- Clinical Committee Member, The Centers for Advanced Orthopaedics
- Board of Managers Member, The Centers for Advanced Orthopaedics
- Liaison between the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Medical Association
- Reviewer, Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery
- Reviewer, Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Chairman, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society’s Health Policy Committee
- Resident Writer’s Award, The American Journal of Orthopaedics
- Authored Numerous Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Inova Fairfax Hospital
- Virginia Hospital Center
Affiliated Surgery Centers
Fairfax Surgical Center
Inova Woodburn Surgery Center
- Piccard Surgery Center